Saturday, February 9, 2013

In the valley with calves




By Atok Dan
 
It bothers me less how much calves storm my bare toes,
In return, their mothers provide me diet,
Overbearing nutrients burden,
Food for work done
I shall not regret,
Keeping them
The nutrients

In dark valleys, they are with me,
They are my speechless companions
Never confuse them with ordinary children
Descendants of colonized wild
They were wild but none

In the dried valleys, calves help smell fare water pools,
They help me in detecting a hidden threats,
My dog and spear are shields,
But can I do without the guidance,
Of my ancestral deities
Who guide me and calves,

We roam valleys for better pastures
But they too roam invisibly,
The gods of a helpless herder,
My calves are my hope too,
Yet my hope is in them,
Their mothers do

No comments:

Post a Comment